Highly skilled Speech and Language Therapists providing evidence-based treatment tailored to your specific needs in the areas of communication & speech disorders and dysphagia.
Our Speech and Language Therapists have a wealth of experience in the treatment of children with communication disotders as a result of an array of difficulties.
Speech and Language Therapists (SLT) assess and treat people with speech, language and communication problems to enable them to communicate to the best of their ability. They also work with people who have eating and swallowing problems (Dysphagia).
Communication difficulties and dysphagia (swallowing problems) can be caused by a variety of conditions including neurological conditions.
We can assess and treat children between pre-school age and 18 with the following difficulties:
- Language delay
- Language disorders
- Learning difficulties – mild, moderate or severe
- Articulation difficulties
- Voice disorders
- Cleft palate
- Autistic Spectrum Disorder
- Social interaction difficulties
- Selective mutism
- Specific difficulties with producing sounds
We can also assess and treat children who have speech, languge and communication difficulties as a result of a brain injury. These difficulties can include:
- Aphasia – difficulties with language including word finding, understanding, reading and writing)
- Apraxia (difficulties with the planning and programming of motor speech)
- Dysarthria (slurred speech due to lip and tongue muscle weakness)
- Cognitive Communication Difficulties (including problems with initiation, conversational repair and topic shift/maintenance)
This will involve a holistic approach which may include case history taking, informal interview and observation relating to communication, speech, language or voice difficulties and a combination of informal and formal assessments.
Whilst the treatment approach used is designed to suit your personal needs, some examples are given below:
- Talking Mats
- Speech sound therapy (disordered and delayed)
- Selective mutism interventions
- School/nursery visits
- 1:1 blocks of therapy
- Language group
- Makaton signing
- Sensory, Feeding and Oral Placement Therapy Programmes
- Supported Conversation – provision of strategies and training in the use of communication aids or ramps to facilitate effective two-way communication between the child and conversational partner
- Conversation partner training
- Support with basic and high-tech Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC)
- Compensatory strategies
- Environmental modifications
- Relaxation techniques
- Aphasia therapy including semantic therapy (activities and tasks to strengthen the meanings of words), melodic intonation therapy, PACE aphasia therapy, Semantic Feature Analysis treatment
- Word-finding strategies, word-retrieval cueing strategies
- Education and advice about communication difficulties
- Training to children and carers in communication strategies
- Use of Computer-based programmes or apps such as Tactus Therapy
- Video recording and visual and auditory feedback
- Problem solving scenarios
In all cases, we assess, treat and offer management plans which are person-centred and focused on the child’s needs. We seek to play a key role in improving communication and eating & drinking so as to improve the quality of life of our clients. We work collaboratively with the Multi-Disciplinary Team to ensure that a holistic approach is used for the most effective way in providing the necessary treatment.